Monday, August 24, 2015

Some simple but painful Truth about Diet

Diet.  THE four letter word.  It doesn't matter if you're in the fitness industry, the medical field, food industry, or just a normal everyday Joe or Jane trying to live life.  It seems that diet has become the thing that will make or break your fitness goals and your long term heath.  What's worse is there are so many "diets" out there and there is no real definitive answer on what you should put in your face on a daily basis.  How do you know which one is right for you?  Is there one that is better than another?  Is there a "best" diet out there?  I'm going to give you my 2 cents.  Some of you will like it.  Many of you won't.  I don't really care, I just want people to know the truth...well, a few truths anyway.  Here'goes.

#1 - There is NO "best" diet.  I am a Paleo Diet advocate but I am not a strict paleo follower.  Vegetarians think they have it.  So do Vegans.  None of us are right.  Neither is Atkins, SlimGenics, or the Zone.  For every example you give of why this diet is the best I can give a counter argument that totally deflates your theory.  Do you know why?  Humans are omnivores.  We can eat just about anything and convert it into usable energy (i.e. Cheetos...although calling it food is a stretch).  Some systems are adapted for eating mostly meat, others mostly plants, still others mostly grains.  Overall though, humans NEED a balance of all of it.  "But Brandon, I read this thing once in this magazine that is totally true."  Are you sure about that?  Or are you accepting it as truth because you read it in PaleoVeganGenetics Magazine and it's a "totally legit mag."  Nope sorry folks.  None of us are right.  But all of us are.  The human body is meant to preform, eat so that you perform well, whatever that means for you and stop judging people who don't eat the same as you.

#2 - Moderation is the key, and a trick.  We've all heard the refrain; "everything in moderation."  There is some truth to that.  Your should intake calories in moderation.  You should workout in moderation.  Anything you do to an extreme level can be detrimental to your overall well being.  One of my favorite quotes that helps this idea make sense is "When good things become ultimate things, ultimately good things become destructive things." (Scott Nickle, Teaching Pastor at Flatirons Church).  There in lies the problem.  Even moderation can be a bad thing.  Food is social for humans.  Going out for drinks with friends every once in a while is ok and even healthy for your overall well being and stress levels.  Drinking every night is a bad idea.  But what about cocaine?  Is cocaine in moderation a good thing?  (If you didn't answer that with a resounding "NO!" then we need to have a chat about your decision making privileges).  Yet, this is what marketing folks would have you believe about products that are not good things.  This is what soda companies spend millions of dollars on each year.  Lobbying the government to stay at bay all while convincing the public that the poison they peddle is safe...in moderation.  What they don't tell you is that their product is in intentionally highly addictive so your idea of moderation is always expanding.  Moderation is a good thing.  But it is not an ultimate thing or it can easily be a destructive thing.  You still have to use your decision making abilities to decide if this thing should be a part of your diet (or life for that  matter) or not.

#3 - There are things all fitness professionals (for the most part) agree on.  Veggies are good for you.  Fruit is good for you.  Nuts and seeds are good for you.  Lean meat is good for you.  Basically the idea here is to eat food.  Real food.  Not "food".  "Food" is anything that was once actual food and then processed and boxed to make it convenient, portable, and taste "good".  There it is again.  What do you mean "good"?  Real food tastes good on it's own.  It does not need chemical enhancers, artificial or natural flavors, sweeteners, or preservatives to "enhance" (ok, I'll really try and stop that) the flavor.  It's all marketing gimmicks to get you to buy their stuff that cost them 20 cents to make so they can sell it to you at $1.50 and you think you're getting a good deal.  Eat food.  Real food.  Not "food".

#4 - "Cheat Days" are bull crap.  There, I said it.  The idea that if you eat really, really strict you can take an entire day and eat whatever you want as a reward.  I have a few issues with this.  First, food is fuel.  Eat food that fuels your body well and it will reward you for it.  Second, food is social.  Eat really well all the time, even when you're in a social situation.  Use good judgement and indulge in treats and drinks on occasion (no, not every occasion is a special occasion to indulge).  If you can't have one drink with your friend because they just got married/had a baby/got a big promotion all because it's not your cheat day, you're not disciplined, you're a jerk.  Part of having a healthy life is having healthy relationships.  Being a jerk is detrimental to healthy relationships.  Third, you are not a pet, quit rewarding yourself with food for doing a good job.  Food is fuel.  Eat well all the time, celebrate with friends and family when the occasion calls for it and then return to eating well right away.  As in have 1 beer, not 6.  Have 1 piece of cake not 3 and a 4 scoops of ice cream.  Have 1, then step right back to fueling your body.

#5 - This is how I do it.  I eat lean meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. I try to keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat.  I do this as well as I can.  I am busy.  I am married, I have 2 kids and a 3rd on the way.  I run a gym full time and I am a Youth Pastor for Crossroads Church in Northglenn.  I get up early enough to make breakfast.  I bring snacks with me.  If I can't bring them I stop at a grocery store and buy food not "food".  It's usually the same cost or cheaper in the long run and I feel and function better.  I eat a good mid-day meal.  I eat a hearty dinner.  We cannot afford to eat out so we buy groceries and eat them.  Once you do the math, it is cheaper per meal by about half when you buy and cook your own food.  How?  Well for example you don't need an 11 once steak with fries and a salad (which will run you about $20 at a steakhouse).  For a family of 4 I can buy steak, do baked potatoes, and a salad for $20-$25.  You spent $20/person.  I spent $6/person.  What about fast food?  When we head to Goodtimes (our favorite place when we eat on the go, yes it does happen) it costs about $27 for the 4 of us to eat because my kids are young.  For that same $27 I can go to a grocery store and buy veggies, fruit, nuts, and some pre-cooked chicken and probably have food for snack later.  It just means I have to get out of the car.  You waited in line for 10 minutes, it took me 11 in the store and I got out and walked AND I got fresher, healthier food.

Ok, I went on a bit of a tirade there.  I'll wrap it up.  Maybe for the next blog I'll actually show you what it costs to eat well, the time involved, and do a comparo.  Guess you'll have to tune in to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment