Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Yesterday you said tomorrow (how to set goals and get going)

"I'll start tomorrow."  Ahhh, the oft heard refrain of the serial procrastinator.  Don't get me wrong, I do it to all sorts of things.  "I'll mow the lawn tomorrow."  "I'll send that email tomorrow." My goodness, tomorrow is the magic land of productivity where all things are done and  the world is perfect.

The unfortunate part of this approach is that almost none of the tomorrowland things are actually accomplished and instead end up collecting dust in the basement (hello $400 treadmill from 10 years ago) or cost us big when we don't actually complete them.  There are so many things we need to and want to accomplish, how do we stay focused on actually getting them done?  Now, I'm talking about real things.  Not "I want to watch all 9 seasons of How I met Your Mother in a binge session on Netflix" things, but things that will actually make use of your time not just waste it.  Don't get me wrong, the marathon show binge or game conquest can be therapeutic in a way that helps us rest and interact with society, but really it mostly gives an excuse to be la, wait for it, zy.  LAZY (see what I did there).

That's right, I called us lazy.  We have the ability to do so much more with the time we have been given, we just have choose to do use it.  There it is again.  Choices.  So without any further ado...the 3 things you can do to set goals and keep them.

1) Set your goal and the break it down into specific skills
2) Break those skill down into daily practices
3) Avoid your couch like the plague and stay focused.

#3 is pretty self explanatory, but here is a little infographic that I thought I would share from a group called Precision Nutrition.



Good support is all about being surrounded by people who want to see you succeed and will give the encouragement and accountability you need to keep going.  Good Support also comes from degreed and certified professionals who are respected in the field and can help you identify potential obstacles, even when you don't want to hear it.

Now, go set some goals, get off your butt and get moving!  By the way, if you are interested in fitness or nutrition coaching, mention this blog and get a free 1 on 1 session with one of our degreed and certified coaches to get you started. Go to www.crossfitcrossroads.com to get started.  We believe that life is about choices.  Make sure you choose the best.